Chemical Engineer in EPA’s National Risk Management Research Laboratory
Land and Materials Management Division
I am a member of the Systems Analysis Branch of the National Risk Management Research Laboratory within the Office of Research and Development. I pursue research in the area of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), with emphasis on the development of tools and methods for streamlined data inventory generation, spatially-resolved impact modeling, and assessment of novel materials and specialty chemicals. This work covers a range of topics, including nanotechnology, consumer electronics, rare earth elements, and the integration of LCA with Risk Assessment (RA) for more complete human exposure modeling. The ultimate goal of my work is the creation of a comprehensive integrated decision-making framework that promotes sustainable technologies.
Area of Expertise:
• Sustainable materials management
• Integrated decision support with emphasis on sustainability
• Sustainable technology analysis
• Spatially resolved and risk-informed life cycle impact assessment methods
• Application of data mining, process modeling, and statistical analysis to estimate chemical releases for exposure assessment across the chemical life cycle
• Development of multi-region life cycle models that capture environmental and economic concerns when implementing sustainable materials management under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
• Creation of integrated data sets for life cycle and risk assessments using ontology design and semantic data management
• Ph.D., University of Kentucky, Lexington; Chemical Engineering, 2006
• B.S., University of Kentucky, Lexington; Chemical Engineering, 2000
• Task lead for life-cycle-based research in EPA’s Chemical Safety for Sustainability and Sustainable and Healthy Communities Research Portfolios.
• Developer and co-PI of an EPA Peer Innovation Project applying linked open data management and machine learning to automatically generate chemical life cycle inventories to greatly reduce the time and resources needed to perform life cycle assessment (LCA).
Committees and Workgroups
• ORD representative on EPA working groups for application of life cycle assessment in sustainable materials management and life cycle considerations of chemicals.
• EPA ORD representative to U. S. ISO/TC 207/SC 5 for LCA
• Sustainability Tools Subject Editor, Journal of Cleaner Production (2012-2016)
• SETAC North American LCA Interest Group Chair (2015-2018)
• Reviewer of EPA external grant proposals, including STAR (Science to Achieve Results) grants, SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) grants and Requests for Application for new Chemical Safety for Sustainability (CSS) Research Centers (2009-present)
• Reviewer for journals including Environmental Science and Technology, ACS Sustainable Chemistry, Risk Analysis, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, and Clean and Technologies and Environmental Policy: (2010-present)
Select Honors and Awards
• ORD Statesman Award (2017)